Thursday, November 06, 2008

Sick Days

This has been a long sickly week at the Stage house.....


All four of us have been sick to one degree or another. Congestion, runny noses, coughing and a fever for Claudia.


I hate being sick. Who doesn't? I don't feel like doing anything. The house is cluttered with toys, beds are not made and the laundry is piling up. We've been scrounging for meals because I don't feel like cooking. I did make a giant pot of split pea soup. The kiddos refused to eat it- not pretty enough....

The kids don't feel like doing much either. They have met their yearly quota of television viewing in the last few days. I believe I now owe PBS a big check for babysitting my children as I lay on the couch in a semi-comatose state. Makes me feel so guilty for being a slacker.

I fondly remember the days when I was working out of the house..... That's when I had the option of not going in to work and using a sick day. A sick day for MYSELF! I didn't have to wipe anyone's nose, make meals, referee children. I could lie on the couch, sleep, read, eat when I wanted.... It was MY sick day.

Now that I am no longer teaching, sick days are a thing of the past. Recently I mentioned to Brian that I'd like him to stay home so I could have a sick day. He looked at me as if I've grown another head. "Sorry. Got meetings today... " He has probably racked up thousands of sick days that he never uses. These include family sick days. I'm family. Don't I count? Can't you just use one of those days to stay home so I can rest?

To put the pressure on, this Saturday is Brian's father's 60th birthday party. I'd hate to by the person blowing snot all over and sneezing uncontrollably. In addition to the party, Brian is going out of town all of next week. I feel the need to get healthy by Saturday so that I can attend the party as well as get the house back in order so the rest of next week is not as chaotic as this one has been. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh girl...I am sorry you guys are sick. Good luck getting you and everyone else healthy before this weekend and I hope you are feeling better before Brian has to go out of town next week! Big hugs!!!!

Amy Flippin Blankenship

On Stage said...

Thanks Amy! Hope your family is feeling better too! Loved the Halloween pictures :)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure glad you felt well enough to attend my birthday party! It was nice having everybody there.

Papa