Friday, August 22, 2008

The "F" Bomb


Recently, on a trip to the library, Claudia checked out a book by Marc Brown, the creator of Arthur. The book was titled, D.W.'s Guide to Perfect Manners. I thought to myself, "Great choice. We could use a little help in that area".

We got home and started to read the book. It starts with Arthur daring
D. W. to be perfect for a whole day by demonstrating cleanliness, orderliness, and good manners.... D. W. gives great examples of appropriate etiquette through the book until we got to this page:

"I almost forgot. If I sneeze, burp, or fart, I just say 'Excuse me, please.' Even Arthur likes me then!"

Marc Brown dropped the "F" bomb in my daughter's book! I couldn't believe it.

Of course, being the clean-mouthed mother that I always am, I changed "fart" to "toot".

When I was growing up, "fart" was the mother of all four letter words.

Fart was the "F" word! Don't misunderstand me, I did grow up with colorful language in my house. But, no one ever said "fart".

As a young child, I remember my neighbor, Gretchen, once called her sibling "FART FACE".

Gayle, my sister, and I liked the sound of that phrase and brought it home to use on each other. Boy, did we get into trouble! You'd think we had just spoken a slew of swear words. My mother was irate.

"Where in the hell did you learn that word?", she questioned us.

We were told never to use that word in the house again. We were sent to our rooms to "think" about our poor choice of words.

Anyway, the word "fart" still scares me (or maybe it's Viola, my mother, that scares me).

I don't use the word. Never will. It will remain "toot".

"F" you, Marc Brown, for exposing my children to your gaseous profanity!!



TOOT FACE

8 comments:

mommy to an angel said...

growing up with 2 brothers the f word was used quite often, but I don't like the word and have insisted Olivia call it a toot as well. Lately she's really into talking a lot about toots and announcing to everyone when she does it, or like yesterday in Hobby Lobby, "mom, I have to poop." then she toots and says, "nevermind mom, I guess I just had to toot. Did you hear my toot mom? Mom, does my toot stink?..." This comes from her dad who grew up in a house full of boys!

On Stage said...

William takes the "smeller is the feller" approach. His in toot denial (along with his father)!

Still Sane said...

Well, my son loves to say "fart". It did surprise me the first time. However, I am now used to his farting announcements throughout the day. Maybe i should stop feedini him so many cucumbers.

Anonymous said...

Marc Brown likes to expose the kids to all kinds of great stuff. Lindsey has me read Arthur's Birthday. In the story Arthur's friend gives him a Spin the Bottle game. Lindsey always asks how to play the game and if we can play it. I have to crack up because when I was growing up Spin the Bottle was a game we played with boys. We would take an article of clothing off if it landed on us, so I can't get past that to come up with a good explaination about how it should be played.

On Stage said...

Yes, I have to agree, Marc Brown does a good job! Just surprised to see the "f" word in his book.

I lead a sheltered life!

Anonymous said...

We are a tootin' family too! Maybe sharing too much info here but since I'm el preggo I always seem to get blamed for all stinky smells. Chris and I were in Kohls the other day and a lady was right by us in the shoe section....anyways SHE must have let one go because Chris said as loud as he possibly could, "Mommy, are you stinkin' again?" We grabbed our Spiderman shoes and fled the scene! Hope you have a fun time with Kathy's family....might be too hot to camp out, huh?

Still Sane said...

I would like a little more detail on Holly G's childhood. I can't believe such games were played.

Anonymous said...

What a fartknocker.

:::snicker:::