Friday, August 29, 2008

The 20 Year High School Reunion




My 20th high school reunion is coming up. Yup, 20 years!

I still have not decided if I want to go. If I do go, I want to bring Brian. However, $75.00 per person is a lot of money. Plus the reunion is in the evening, in Palatine, which means a hotel room has to be figured into the whole cost. I also noticed the list of attendees, at this time, does not include people with whom I hung around in high school.

And then there's the whole "oh my gosh I haven't seen you in 20 years.....what have you been up to?! line of questioning....you know how it is at reunions. It doesn't help that I happened to go to a high school with fairly privileged teenagers. Don't get me wrong - I am not bragging.....it's just that advanced degrees and successful careers are common with my fellow alumni. So the expensive cars, the second home, and the vacations in the French Riviera are not uncommon.

My honest answer to the questions?

"Hi, Yes, Sue Knoll. Yes, I actually have gained 100 lbs since high school. No, I don't have a glamorous job like you over- achievers. I used to teach until I reproduced. Then I quit. Now I wipe butts and referee two youngsters all day long!"

or option B (to be a little less self-deprecating).....

"Hello. I'm Susan Knoll. I graduated from Purdue with a degree in education, married a wonderful man, touched the lives of many children that I taught, had two beautiful children and am fortunate to be able to stay home with them."

At any rate, the deadline for the $75.00 is September 15th. After that date, the price goes up. I'm assuming everyone is doing the same thing I am - Waiting........

Waiting to see who is going, waiting to see if it's worth their time.......

I keep thinking that if I don't go, I may regret it later. I almost did that with the 10th reunion. By the time I decided to go, the only option was to crash it, which I did with my friend, Michelle. Yes, we just walked past the "welcome table", skipped the name tags and mingled. Given who I ended up seeing (and just as important, some friends who I didn't happen to see there) I'm glad I didn't pay for it.

At this time, I'm siding with attending. I have a month to lose the 100 lbs....... the money is not really an issue.......and someone is always available to watch the kids....

If the reunion is lame, Brian and I can always leave and head back to the hotel. A night with no kids! You know what that means!

SLEEP...........................................

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue...

This is Amy Flippin. Not sure if you remember me from high school but I remmeber you. I just happened to click on the link to your blog while seeing your picture on the Fremd reunion site and read this entry (about the reunion). I felt like I had written the entry!!! I feel EXACTLY the same way as you! EVERY SINGLE WORD YOU WROTE!!! LOL The only difference between you and me is 1. I would have to fly so I would add 2 airline tickets (if my husband came with me) AND probably at least one more night at the hotel and 2. my husband is out of town on business that weekend so basically I can't come because I don't have someone to watch my kids for that long. Yes, I could fly up Saturday and home on Sunday but what's the point in spending that much money on airline tickets when I am not even sure I will have a great time at the reunion, you know? I also feel like I will regret it for a LONG time if I don't go. I will see pictures posted and people that I really wanted to see that ended up going and then what??? I guess I will have to wait at least another 5 yrs...but probably 10. UGH

Anonymous said...

Oh wait...That wasn't exactly true what I said. I couldn't have written this myself because I didn't go to college. LOL At least you got a degree and COULD go back to work making good money if you wanted to. LOL ;) So...feel better now? ;) LOL The only thing I have that you don't have is that I no longer wipe butts all day. LOL Mine are 10, 8, and 6..THANK GOD! LOL

On Stage said...

Oh my Gosh!!!

Amy, I DO remember you. You were the only cheerleader that ever spoke to me!

I hope you can make arrangements for your kids so that you can attend the reunion. If you really are interested, try Southwest Airlines. They always have good rates. If you do go, let me know. My husband and I could easily pick you up from either Midway or O'Hare. We will pass both on the way into town. Seriously!!!

Thanks for reading- Your family is beautiful!!!!

Sue