Sunday, August 10, 2008

Date Night??? Us???

On Saturday, Brian and I were supposed to go out with another married couple. I made arrangements for Grandma Viola to watch the kids. I was looking forward to a night out. No kids, someone waiting on me, hot food and cold beverages. What else could be better? Well, actually, I can think of a lot of things, but a night out would have to do.

Saturday afternoon, Julie, our friend, called and left a message saying that they had to reschedule because her husband, Mike was sick. "Rats!" I thought (vocabulary edited to keep this blog at least somewhat clean). I was looking forward to getting together with them, doing some reminiscing, and drinking those cold beverages. I was about to call Grandma to let her know that the kids would not be coming over to her house.... until I realized that Brian and I could go out together, with each other, just the two of us, as in a date!!!!

We haven't had a dinner date in at least 15 years!!! Seriously.

We packed up the kids, dropped them off at Grandma's and headed to downtown Valpo.
Where to go?- as if Valpo offers an array of options... We stopped in at the new restaurant, Papparrazi, but they were hosting a private party. We kept walking and reached the Old Style (aka Old Pile). Been there, done that. Kept walking... Pikk's Tavern was next on our walking route. We decided to try it.


It was great. The inside of the restaurant had an urban feel. As a matter of fact, if I did not look out the front window, I could have easily been convinced that I was in the city (Chicago, that is).

The service was awesome. Our waiter, Sam, was nice to look at (yes, this does make a difference!), the Bells Oberon (my cold beverage) was yummy, the food was pretty good, and the dessert, towering chocolate cake, was to die for!

Brian and I had a great time together. We actually spoke to each other without being interrupted 1014 times, we had cold drinks, a hot meal and we were able to remain seated for more than two minutes (believe me, none of these luxuries are to be taken for granted!!!).

After dinner, we walked around the square (it was a beautiful evening), then went to pick up the kids before returning home to let out the dog.

Even though Claudia pooped all over Grandma's comforter (again!!!), and then we were greeted by dog poop in the upstairs hallway (again on that item too!!!....next time Sophie can stay outside!), our date night was well worth it....every minute of it!

Back to the real world!

2 comments:

mommy to an angel said...

Date nights are great, aren't they?!? We don't get the chance to do them too often, and it's about to get even less often!

On Stage said...

After you have the second one, your need for a "date" night doubles!!!!