Friday, August 08, 2008

I AM A Redneck!!!

On Thursday, we went to the Lake County Fair in Crown Point, IN. I don't have much of a background in county fairs. I came from Cook County in IL. I don't even know if Cook County has a fair. If it did, what would the fair consist of?.... A blue ribbon for the biggest street rat? Drug runner demolition derby? And, of course, those famous pig races would consist of Chicago cops ticketing cars in no parking zones.


At any rate, I really don't understand why county fairs draw so many people. Is it the 4-H stuff, the fabulous entertainment, the healthy food, the safe carnival rides?.... I just don't get it.

I will say that the Lake County Fairgrounds are very scenic. There's tons of trees, a small lake, a grandstand, buildings and paved areas to walk. In fact, I used to walk through the fairgrounds a lot when we lived in Crown Point. It always amazes me how such a beautiful area can be converted to a giant festival full of foul smelling animals, greasy food and mutant size vegetables.


Pumpkin pie anyone?

Despite my lack of interest, I decided to go for the kids. I knew they would love to see the animals, ride the rides, eat frozen chocolate-covered bananas and gawk at the overgrown produce.


(How can anyone actually win a blue ribbon for the biggest leek?!?)



Also, Thursday evening is the night for the----

COMBINE DEMOLITION DERBY!!!!!!!!!!!




I've never been to a demolition derby, cars or combines, but I was christened on Thursday. I believe that I am now an official Hoosier Redneck.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess you're not going to be a fair whore.:)

mommy to an angel said...

Yep, you're a redneck!

We've actually never even been to the county fair so I really don't even know what it's like ;-)

On Stage said...

Trust me, you don't know what you're missing!!! Fried PICKLES!!!