Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Don't Fear The Reaper

This morning I was reading my local newspaper and to my surprise read that Blue Oyster Cult will be playing at our county fair this summer! I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of BOC. However, the music does bring back fond memories. About 20 years ago (yes, I am dating myself) I went to a bar in River Grove, Illinois called "The Thirsty Whale" with my sister and a friend. BOC was playing there and my friend wanted to see the show..... so did I (after all, I was familiar with 2 songs). We arrived at the venue and discovered that we were not dressed appropriately for the concert. We looked clean cut, as in "preppy" (remember it was 20 years ago) and the rest of the BOC crowd was decked in in leather... lots of it and chains. I remember a few head bandannas (skullcaps ?) too! Even though I felt a bit uncomfortable in my black Bermuda shorts and striped shirt, it was a fun show! I distinctly remember my friend jamming out to the song "Godzilla". I am amazed that my friend didn't suffer brain damage from his head thrashing!

So Porter County Fair and Blue Oyster Cult here I come! I will be there decked out in leather, chains, skullcap and lighter (you know..... to wave in the air)! I hope I fit in with the locals. Hmmmm.... Maybe I ought to reconsider my outfit. County Fair.... farmers.... Don't want to stand out AGAIN! I'm thinking overalls might be a better choice!

This is for the Porter County farmers.... "Don't Fear The Reaper".


5 comments:

On Stage said...

To the Head Banger... it may not of been "Godzilla" that you were thrashing to... but I do remember you tossing your head around at several others concerts!

mommy to an angel said...

how about leather overalls?!?

On Stage said...

Good idea! I'll have to check the Tractor Supply Company here in Valpo for those... want to join me?

Amy Flippin Blankenship said...

Hey Sue,

Skip buying a lighter. I think people just use their cell phone lights now adays. LOL

Hope everyone is healthy again at your house! Saw a preview for Public Enemies just the other night and was so excited to tell Joe and the boys that Brian has the lead role, um..I mean is in the movie. :) I can't wait to go see it!! Got your babysitter all lined up for July 1st???

On Stage said...

Cell phones? Really?

We'll be out of town when the movie comes out... hopefully the rest of the Stage Clan (who will be vacationing with us) will watch the kids so we can see it.

We also saw a commercial the other night. Brian was so excited. He kept shouting, "Look kids... It's Daddy's movie!".

Hope all is well with you. How's baseball going?