Thursday, March 19, 2009

Put On Your Thinking Cap....



Yesterday evening was the big birthday celebration for my nephew, Matthew. He turned 7.... an old guy. We also celebrated my sister's birthday too. She will be 29 (cough, cough) on Friday.

The point of this story, though, is not about yesterday's birthday celebration....mostly because I forgot my camera. It does, however, involve birthdays.

This story is about my niece, Jordan, who is very intelligent... you know...gifted... "special" as we like to say. She has the kind of thinking process that puts her in a different dimension of reality.....the kind, though, that has her regularly saying and doing things that make us shake our heads and question her sanity.

Last night was one of those instances. We were discussing half birthdays....as in, Claudia's birthday is September 16th and her 3 1/2 birthday was on March 16th. Jordan informed us that her 14 1/2 birthday was on March 3rd.

"Hmmm. Jordan, your birthday is August 31st. How can your half birthday have fallen on March 3rd?"

She looked at us with raised eyebrows as if we were all dumber than a box of rocks.

"Duhhh......." she began, talking slowly so us lesser beings could have time to process her brilliance, "February only has 28 days and my birthday is on August 31st, so I had to make up for the 3 missing days in February by adding them onto March".

After we all laughed hysterically at Jordan, my sister explained to her that adding numbers was not necessary..... just count ahead 6 months.

Again, the "box of rocks" look......as in, "Whatever, you people just don't get it, do you?"

But then again, what 14 year old girl (or 14 1/2 I should say) believes anything her mom says?

Intelligent and gifted.......we're starting to rethink that one.
Special? Definitely!

1 comment:

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

WOW! Very smart and made me laugh!

Mrs. Nurse Boy