Monday, March 02, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day x 17

February 14, 1992



Dear William and Claudia,


This past Valentine's Day was the anniversary of my first date with Daddy. The date, which almost didn't happen, took place 17 years ago! I'll try to share as much with you as I can remember, but my memory is a bit fuzzy....

Mommy and Daddy were friends in college. We both belonged to a service organization called Alpha Phi Omega. We pledged at the same time but weren't really friends. Aunt Gayle was the first to become friends with Daddy. They hung out a lot together. One evening at an APO meeting, Aunt Gayle offered to help Daddy dress up as a girl for an annual party!

Daddy showed up the evening for the party at our apartment and Aunt Gayle did his make-up and Mommy ended up curling his hair with a curling iron. We had fun... Daddy didn't make the best looking woman (no offense, Brian) but we gave it our best shot!

Purdue 1991

Over the next year, Daddy, Aunt Gayle and Kathy started spending more time with Daddy and his handsome roommates. We went out for "pop" and studied a lot at the library (wink, wink).

Mommy wasn't really interested in Daddy (even though, to this day, he insists I was) and Daddy was juggling several girlfriends...... believe it or not.

Eventually things changed... I don't know what happened, but Mommy and Daddy started to like each other.

Valentine's Day was approaching and Daddy asked me if I wanted to go on a date. Guess what I told him? I said no! Can you believe it? I told Daddy that I already had plans with Kathy and wasn't available. Funny, huh?

After a few days, Kathy convinced me to change my mind and go out with Daddy. I called Daddy and we decided to get together for dinner. The only problem was that I waited too long to call him and all the nice (all 2 of them) restaurants were booked for Valentine's Day. Daddy ended up coming over to my house and we ate cheeseburgers together (That is why it is a tradition in our house to eat cheeseburgers on Valentine's Day). After our dinner, we went to an APO function and then out to a bar named Pete's.

We had a fun time together....

5 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

I love this story. And, those pictures are awesome! How funny! Thanks for sharing!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Amy Flippin Blankenship said...

LOVE IT!!!!! And LOVE the pictures too!! I also love that you guys continue to eat cheeseburgers on Valentines day. :) My sister and her husband ordered pizza on their wedding night and now they still (after 17 yrs) eat pizza for their anniversary. LOL

On Stage said...

I should post a few pictures of Brian "really" dressed as a woman from the same party the following year! Wig, skirt, big....

I'll have to write someting about the seven years (until we got married)that followed this first date. It's an interesting story!

Still Sane said...

That is so cute!! Mike and I still kiss on the escalator at the mall where we had our first kiss.:)
So cheesy:)

On Stage said...

You are chessy.... and after all these years, you still kiss???
Humm, Brian ought to read this comment.

I can barely use the escalator without a major injury... and you are able to smooch and use the escalator at the same time?!!

What talent!