Thursday, December 04, 2008

Aaaaah, Aaaaah, SNAFU

Yesterday William had his last day of library class. This class was special because the end of the class consisted of a cookie walk (basically a cookie exchange). Puzzled by the phrase "cookie walk", the kids had lots of questions and statements:



William:


Do I walk with my cookies?


What if the other cookies are yucky?



Claudia:


Nobody's walking with MY cookies!


They're MY cookies!


I'm not giving MY cookies to those other kids!



I made chocolate chip cookies, randomly loaded them on a paper plate, covered them with foil and brought them to the library. William excitedly gave his plate of cookies to his library teacher and she walked them to the classroom while we waited in the children's' section.

Then in comes Overachiever Mom...

She's always gussied up.... make-up applied, hair perfectly done, nails polished and professionally dressed. She had several platters full of saucer-sized cookies...SEVERAL PLATTERS!!! (I will begrudgingly admit that they were beautiful Christmas platters). The rest of us (Martha Stewart "rejects" I guess) came with our paper plates and subpar mini-cookies.

Her cookies, on the other hand, were perfectly iced, delicately decorated and individually cradled in dainty wrappers! She laid them down on the round child-size table in the library, lined her child up next to the cookies and began to take a series of photos.

Now, taking a picture of one's child is nothing unusual....all parents understand that.

But this wasn't just a picture or two......this was a whole photo shoot! (interrupted only by a wipe of a dripping nose by our Ms. Photographer!) Her kid was giving pose after pose, just smiling away holding his treasured cookies as she fanatically recorded it for posterity.

THEN (and you won't see this on a Martha Stewart show!) THE KID SNEEZED ON THE COOKIES!

Yup, blew a big juicy one on the pretty goods. I saw the mother cast a quick glance around the room to see if anyone noticed the new "sprinkles"......then she proceeded to take them into the classroom to place them with everyone else's cookies!

The whole episode made a smirk come across my face as I discreetly left the room. Just a little redemption for us "underachievers"!!!!!!

7 comments:

Still Sane said...

SO, funny!! That is so sad, I've been trying to think what i can send for Ella's treat bag for her Christmas party. Last year's overachiever made personalized coloring books for each child.
I did have pencils madefor her class and mine, i just need something to go with it.

On Stage said...

How about heading over to RSVP- a Fine Paperie in Valparaiso, and order each child stationery personalized with thier initials? This would be a lovely accompaniment to the pencils! This may set you back a few $$, but it's worth it knowing the impression you will be making on the preschoolers and their families :)

http://www.rsvptoshop.com/

On Stage said...

And...
Robin, when does Christmas break start? Do you want to try to get all the kids together for a playdate?

Or should we forget the kids and have a ladies night out... a movie, drinks, dinner, spa time, time away from kids and husbands, sun, palm trees, tropical drinks with little umbrellas, sand, hot men...? Oops, I was thinking back to my single days :)

Anyone else want to join us?

Anonymous said...

Yay, I can finally get back to your blog. The one link you sent a while back didn't work, but Shawnie sent an e mail with her address and I got to yours via hers....if that makes sense. Oh, my gosh your cookie story was hilarious! I love the new pics that you added to your sight. Had doc appointment today...she's already around 7 1/2 pounds. Lordy, Lordy! We're trying to keep her at 9 lbs. for the 29th.

On Stage said...

Your back Schwuchow!!! It's about time! I've been missing your comments.

Looks like Grace is going to be a big one! Don't worry... the 2nd is soo much easier! I was at 6cm for weeks, had about a dozen icky contractions, one push and out Claudia came. It must be that whole theory about the path being paved... recovery was a lot quicker too!

We all miss you so much! Please have John take a picture of you and send it my way. I bet you look just beautiful!

Is Chris getting excited about being a big brother?

I should probably be writing all this in an e-mail or giving you a call...

Best of luck! I am so happy for you! PLEASE keep me posted!

On Stage said...

One last thing Holly...
The Stage family will be keeping you and Grace in our prayers!
Did I tell you yet how much I LOVE that name? I forgot her middle name... Anne?

Grace ______ Schwuchow

Looks good in print!

Dawn said...

BAAAA! That's great!
And where do you get all your fabulous photos for your posts?