Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Christmas Cards And All That Crap


The Stage 2008 Card


This week we received our first Christmas card. The card came from one of Brian's high school friends. The friend that scammed him out of his high school valedictorian spot (that's a story for another day). I think she still feels guilty and therefore still includes him on her list of sendees.

Along with the cards we sometimes get those goofy Christmas letters. You know... the letters that go on and on about how perfect life is. I hate those letters! I truly understand that it is much easier to write one letter, duplicate it and send it with a card, but COME ON FOLKS!

I have one ex-coworker who writes her letter in third person. "Ralph and Wanda painted the house muted green with salmon trim. Ralph and Wanda remodeled the bathroom to match the new wallpaper in the hallway...". Then she signs the letter as "Ralph and Wanda". Hello Ralph and Wanda! This is wrong, not to mention stupid! Don't you realize you are writing in third person and then signing your own name to it? Does this make sense? This does not make sense to Susan.




This year I decided to create my own letter:

Dear Family and Friends,

Christmas is fast approaching once again! This has been one hell of a year for the Stage Family. Brian's recent job interview sucked and our hopes for an increase in his salary have gone down the toilet. His only highlight of the year was working with Johnny Depp and Christian Bale while filming "Public Enemies". Brian played the role of a prisoner . You may have heard the about the unfortunate experience he had in the shower house with the other prisoners....


As for me, I had to commit myself... I have been blogging from my new home, CRAPUS (The Center for Recovery of Adults Putting Up with Shit). The last butt wiping episode with Claudia put me over the edge... The staff here is working with me to overcome my fear of potty training. I can now approach a potty chair without experiencing the "shakes". However, the smell of toilet paper still makes me erupt.


William started preschool and organized sports this year. Have you ever seen 4 year olds play T-Ball? It's a painful experience to watch. We did manage to walk away from the games without any broken bones, unlike last year when he busted his arm. Can't say so much for the other kid... we're still feeling sorry about the "incident".

Claudia made it through two days of preschool before she decided to crap in her pants. We were asked to remove her from school until her potty fear subsided. She's still fearin' the potty.

Sophie, our dog, is on her fourth litter of puppies. I knew we should of had her fixed when that neuter scooter came around....

We almost had a vacation this year.... We made it all the way to Angola, Indiana before the camper split in two on the highway. Golly, I was sorry to part with that camper...



Love, The Stage Family




Anyway... you get the idea!



Merry Christmas!!!!



11 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

Funny stuff! I couldn't agree more about those horrible Christmas letters!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

On Stage said...

Thanks! My husband wanted to add a lot more to the letter...

I've wanted to create a dysfunctional family letter for years but never made the time. Just wait until next year, I'll really come up with a whopper of a story!

Still Sane said...

You crack me up every morning!

On Stage said...

I crack myself up too! Just make sure those students aren't reading over your shoulder!

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I am dying over here! I expect to see that in my mail soon! You have GOT to mail that out. I SO agree with you about those letters. WTF is up with that? These people ignore their friends ALL YEAR LONG only to write some happy generic letter to everyone telling how much of a fantasy land they have been living in. Bull crap! If you have been living in a fantasy land this whole year, you would have kept in touch! LOL

Amy Flippin Blankenship

mommy to an angel said...

hahaha! Very funny - I love it! We make fun of the stupid letters too - in fact my mom typed a dysfunctional one up one year AND sent it out! It was VERY funny! I might just have to copy you and do this on my blog - I'll have to think up a good one like yours :-) Cute Christmas card too!

On Stage said...

Glad you appreciate my sense of humor.

Brian didn't want me to post the letter yet because it "could use a little more work". I'd like to see what he would come up with... maybe we'll have to do a rewrite and post it later in the week!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, you are hilarious!!!! It's so true.....don't those people have any idea of how they sound? There was an Everybody Loves Raymond episode about this where Debra and her mom-in-law put together a letter...funny stuff.
Holly :)

Anonymous said...

From Mimi and Papa..........

Sue, this was an absolute RIOT!!!! You are such a gifted comedy writer! It's funny, because one of the comic strips in our paper (Adam@Home) is talking about Christmas card letters right now. We can really relate!!

On Stage said...

To be honest, I really do enjoy reading the letters.

One of my of my friends from IL sends one out every year. It's well written, witty and, believe it or not, NOT boastful. Then there are the others....

Anonymous said...

You made me laugh out loud at work. Ass.

"Don't you realize you are writing in third person and then signing your own name to it? Does this make sense? This does not make sense to Susan."

It's rather Seinfeldian of them, isn't it? "Jimmy: Hey, look. Hank's got a new boyfriend. Jimmy's not threatened by Hank's sexuality. Jimmy's happy for Hank. ..."