Thursday, December 11, 2008

Reflections Of Thanks


For me, the holidays are a time of reflection and a time to count my blessings.

With that said, I decided to ask the kids what they were thankful for. Since we pray before our meals, they are pretty good at coming up with goofy colorful answers, especially Claudia who is always thankful for her last birthday party.

These are the answers they came up with:

William
turkey
Mommy and Daddy
flags
Sophie, our dog
the South Shore train
Santa
lobsters
the # 100
sharks
pirate ships

Claudia
toys
markers
Christmas
Rosie, our cat
whales
Santa
princesses
cousins
snow
Bass Pro Shop

Their list got me thinking of all the things I am thankful for. There's the obvious such as my family... and then there's a few things I take for granted...

My neighbors , Jeff and Lori. Academically gifted, yet down to earth. They make me laugh. They endlessly pitch baseballs to William and color with Claudia until her sidewalk chalk is worn down to dust AND they have provided Claudia with her best friend, Ellie.

Our hair stylist who left the salon to go back to college. Patty now comes to our house, cuts all our hair and charges half the salon price.

The flexibility Brian has with his job. Even though he covers a good portion of Northern Indiana, he still makes time to be at the kids activities and take me to my doctor's appointments in Chicago.

I'm thankful that we can pay our bills each month and still have a little money left over for swim classes and soccer.

I'm thankful that our car runs. You have to love Hondas!

I'm thankful that my kids still hug, kiss me and want to cuddle.

I'm thankful for Claudia's "I wuv you Mommy" (even if she's just trying to get out of trouble).

I'm thankful for my rheumatologist who always makes time to thoroughly answer my questions and explain why it is necessary to fill 12 tubes with my blood multiple times a year.

I am thankful that I can take a shower without worrying about bloodshed (on most days) from the little ones.

I'm thankful for reuniting with old friends, many who I grew up with and haven't spoken to in 20 years!

I'm thankful for the diversity in our neighborhood. I like the fact that our neighbors consist of professors, nail technicians, tree trimmers, attorneys, photographers and architects.

I love that our house is old and worn - including our furniture. It doesn't bother me when the kids color the kitchen table with permanent maker. Well, maybe just a little...


Out of curiosity I asked Brian what he was thankful for (I told him not to mention the obvious)...

I'm thankful for all our big trees and the beautiful colors that they show every fall.

I'm thankful that we live close to our siblings and parents. And the ones far away, I'm thankful we have the opportunity to visit them.

I'm thankful we live close to Lake Michigan.

I am thankful for my children's curiosity and never ending ability to ask questions such as, "How do reindeer fly? They don't have wings?".


*He stopped answering my questions because he was ignoring me busy reading.

4 comments:

mommy to an angel said...

On Thanksgiving I told Olivia she had to tell me 5 things she was thankful for....
mommy
Jack
Dora (she doesn't even watch dora)
memaw
papaw
I asked her why she didn't say daddy and she said, "oh, I'm also thankful for daddy and God." Which Brian thought she meant to say, daddy who is God!
I love asking kids these kind of questions - it's so cute!!

On Stage said...

That's cute. At least she added family members.

Claudia's standard answer at every meal is "princesses and my birhtday party".

William's too focused on correctly making the sign of the cross on himself that he usually throws something in as we're wrapping it up, usually John Deere tractors.

Anonymous said...

I love this blog. I am going to have to get my kids to tell me what they are each thankful for. I will have to ask them seperately as by the time you get to #3, they are copying each other's answers. LOL I will try to figure out a way to post something on my Facebook page in a "blog" form. This should be interesting! :)

Amy Flippin Blankenship (who is also thankful for long lost friends of 20 plus years) :)

On Stage said...

I was hoping no one would notice that they were "slightly" copying answers. THANKS FOR POINTING THAT OUT TO EVERYONE AMY!!!

I can't wait to see your Facebook page! Have a great weekend :)